Racism is widely recognized as a cornerstone of global capitalism, yet it’s sometimes seen as an accidental byproduct of capital, or alternately, a distinct system altogether. To better understand how race and capital create each other, and reflecting on our post-Black Lives Matter organizing experiences, we are embarking on a study that seeks to understand race and capital as entwined relations. Part one, which will run from now until July, will take us from primitive accumulation through Reconstruction. We we will use Marxist and Fanonian categories of labor, alienation, and accumulation, drawing heavily from social reproduction theory and unitary theory.
Part one includes the following sections:
- Foundational concepts
- Primitive Accumulation
- Free & Unfree Labor
- Slavery and Capitalism
- Race & Alienation
- Wage Labor & White Supremacy
We will also be discussion each section of readings on a mini-series with Rev Left Radio. Episodes can be found here:
- Episode 1: Foundational concepts
- Episode 2: Primitive Accumulation
- Episode 3: Free & Unfree Labor / Slavery and Capitalism
- Episode 4: Race & Alienation (coming June 2020)
- Episode 5: Wage Labor & White Supremacy (coming July 2020)
We hope you will join us in this endeavor!